As performed in the lab:
Exothermic Reaction (Combustion of Carbon):
A small piece of coal, a burner, a hanger and a glass jar containing oxygen.
- Take a small piece of coal in a hanger.
- Hold the hanger and heat it over a flame to red hot, as shown in the animation.
- Now introduce it into a gas jar containing Oxygen.
- What do you observe? Note down the change if any?
Endothermic Reaction (Vapourisation):
A beaker, a beaker stand, and a burner.
- Fix the beaker on beaker stand and take some water in it.
- Light the burner and place beaker on it.
- Wait for the water to boil.
- Few minutes later observe the water being vapourised. (To collect vapours place another beaker upside down over it.)