As performed in the lab
Materials Required -
A spring, a measuring ruler and weights.
- Hang a spring from a horizontal metal rod.
- Attach a mass hanger directly to the bottom of the hanging spring and record the position of the bottom of the mass hanger relative to a meter stick.
- Hang a weight from the spring and wait for it to come to rest.
- Record the final position of the mass hanger.
- Calculate increase in length and and note in the "Observation Table".
- Repeat the above steps with different weights.
- Plot a graph with your readings. Force applied (mass X gravity) vs Increase in length (Initial length - Final Length).
As performed in the simulator
- Click on the weight to be attached to the spring.
- Allow the spring to come to rest.
- Record the reading on the scale in the "Observation Table".
- Repeat the procedure for other weights.
- Once all the readings are recorded in the "Observation Table", click on "Plot" button to plot the graph.