As performed in the lab:
A concave mirror, a mirror holder, a semi transparent screen fixed to a stand and a small candle with stand.
- Fix the concave mirror in the mirror holder and place it on edge of the table.
- Mount a small candle vertically on a stand. Place it in front of the concave mirror on the left hand side (i.e. shiny surface) say on focus 'F'.
- Place the screen such that the lower level of screen must be so arranged that it remains just above the principal axis of the mirror.
- Locate a sharp image of candle by adjusting the position of the screen. Note and record the position and nature of the image formed on the screen.
- Repeat the experiment by placing candle at different positions as mentioned in observation table [Table 1] below.
Table 1: Observation table
As performed in the simulator:
- Select "Show Labels" checkbox to view all labels in the simulation.
- Select "Show Help" checkbox to view help to use the simulation.
- Drag the "Object" (candle) along principal axis by clicking on blue point over the candle and observe the nature of the "Image" being formed.
- Select "Show Rays" checkbox to see how the image gets formed.
- Place the object at different positions (as mentioned in the observation table [Table 1] given above) and note down the observations in the observation table by clicking on "Observation" tab.
- Click on Submit, to verify your observations. Correct observations will be highlighted in green, and incorrect ones will be highlighted in red.